About Academic Editorial Services
Academic Editorial Services (AES) was
established by Tina Thornton in 1999 and is now based in Victor Harbor, South Australia. With a comprehensive background in editing formal writing projects throughout her career as an academic, Tina can offer a discerning eye for detail, sound understanding of the intricacies of English expression, and extensive familiarity with writing to meet publication or assessment requirements.
Tina's editing experience has encompassed a wide range of topic areas as indicated on the past projects page.
Satisfied clients during the last 18 years include individuals and groups from universities, government departments, private businesses, professional journals, academics undertaking funded research projects, as well as national and international
undergraduate and postgraduate students from many different discipline areas.
Tina is an Accredited Editor (Institute of Professional Editors Ltd) having completed the first national accreditation exam in October 2008. She has wide-ranging experience with editing articles for publication, reviewing and proofreading manuscripts and theses, conducting and compiling research, summarising projects and preparing learning resources. Tina undertakes regular professional development, has completed postgraduate study in editing in addition to her initial qualifications based in nursing, education, curriculum development and evaluation. Contact AES if you want to view Tina's CV.
- Accredited Editor (Institute of Professional Editors Ltd) 2008
- Postgraduate Certificate in Editing 2007
- Master of Education (Curriculum Evaluation) 1994
- Bachelor of Nursing 1988
- Diploma of Teaching (Nurse Education) 1986
- Diploma of Applied Science (Nursing) 1980
- Institute of Professional Editors Ltd (IPEd) Councillor for Tasmania Oct 2009–Feb 2011
- Member of IPEd Accreditation Board Oct 2009–Sept 2011
- Lead Writer IPEd Accreditation Exam 2012
- Member of Society of Editors (SA)
- Member of Society of Editors (Tas) Inc. Executive Committee member 2006–Sept 2011
- Technical Editor of Journal of Institutional Research 2005–2014
- Past Editor of Catchword quarterly newsletter of Society of Editors(Tas) 2006–2009
- 2015 Watch SA State Award of Merit in recognition of service to Neighbourhood Watch and the Community of South Australia
- a focus on quality editing that maintains the author's 'voice'
- offering helpful suggestions to improve the text
- skilled troubleshooting of formatting problems
- extensive experience in many topic areas and project types
- a calm and patient editor committed to helping clients achieve their writing goals
- Academic Editorial Services uses the Australian Standards for Editing Practice issued by the Australian Societies of Editors to reflect the knowledge and skills required within editing processes.